NASA - Poster - Acrylic - 28. Crab Nebula (NIRCam and MIRI Image) - James Webb Space Telescope
Printed on glossy acrylic with vibrant colours.
NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has gazed at the Crab Nebula in the search for answers about the supernova remnant’s origins. Webb’s NIRCam (Near-Infrared Camera) and MIRI (Mid-Infrared Instrument) have revealed new details in infrared light.
Similar to the Hubble optical wavelength image released in 2005, with Webb the remnant appears comprised of a crisp, cage-like structure of fluffy red-orange filaments of gas that trace doubly ionized sulfur (sulfur III). Among the remnant’s interior, yellow-white and green fluffy ridges form large-scale loop-like structures, which represent areas where dust particles reside.
The area within is comprised of translucent, milky material. This white material is synchrotron radiation, which is emitted across the electromagnetic spectrum but becomes particularly vibrant thanks to Webb’s sensitivity and spatial resolution. It is generated by particles accelerated to extremely high speeds as they wind around magnetic field lines. Trace the synchrotron radiation throughout the majority of the Crab Nebula’s interior.
Locate the wisps that follow a ripple-like pattern in the middle. In the center of this ring-like structure is a bright white dot: a rapidly rotating neutron star. Further out from the core, follow the thin white ribbons of the radiation. The curvy wisps are closely grouped together, following different directions that mimic the structure of the pulsar’s magnetic field. Note how certain gas filaments are bluer in color. These areas contain singly ionized iron (iron II).
Image: NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI, Tea Temim (Princeton University)
Supernova Remnants, Supernovae, Pulsars, Neutron Stars, Emission Nebulas, Nebulas
High quality Acrylic Print. Reproduction based on original painting/image.
Characteristics / Material
Characteristics / Material
Acrylic prints are light, shatterproof and resists temperature changes. By printing on Acryl the reproduction is enhanced and more intense.
- Includes hanging kit with screws.
- Screw hole: The center of the hole is positioned 14mm (0.55in) from each edge in each corner. One hole in each corner - regardless of format.
- Screw hole diameter: 8mm (0.31in).
- Diameter of the head of the screw: 15mm (0.6in).
- Crystal clear 4mm acrylic prints.
- Straight cut corners.
- Free Worldwide Shipping.
- Produced locally near you where possible.
- Expected delivery: 4-7 business days.
- Acrylic prints are packaged with strong edges to protect the items.
- In addition, we wrap the items in bubble wrap or kraft paper for additional protection.
- They will be covered with a protective film on the face of the image, this film will vary in color depending upon supplier & it could be milky, green, or blue typically.
- These protective films can be mistaken for scratches, bubbles, or a colored cast to a print/glass.